Hiking another great mountain in New Zealand
- New Zealand – here we come
- New Zealand 1: Auckland
- Bay of Islands, New Zealand
- Fawlty Towers in New Zealand
- Life is good in New Zealand
- Fairy Tales in New Zealand
- Mordor, Tongariro – New Zealand
- Lights in New Plymouth, New Zealand
- Hiking another great mountain in New Zealand
- Food for Belgians in New Zealand
- Whales in New Zealand
- Abel Tasman National Park, New Zealand
- New Zealand, West, too fast
- these shoes are made for walking (New Zealand 15)
- Tourists in New Zealand!
- Close Encounters in New Zealand
- The Itinerary of a 4 week New Zealand trip
- Happy Feet, New Zealand
- Turquoise Lake, New Zealand
- The end of our New Zealand trip
The day we meet our next New Zealand Mountain: mount Taranaki, or if you prefer: mount Egmont.
After the festival of light we visited in New Plymouth yesterday, Vicky was not OK from food we had earlier that day. This morning, she was a little better but I still had to have my breakfast alone. As the owner of the B&B were we stay is on vacation, he seems to have hired his son for the breakfast part at the Nice Hotel. There could have been more elegant choices: “well done” means “black on the bottom side” today…
The big news here today comes from the Pike River mine on the south island where the search for the miners is stopped. It is the conversation topic for this day wherever we stop on our way.
By eleven, Vicky is feeling better and good enough to conquer mount Taranaki (Mount Egmont). So we went up there and had a little walk. The initial plan of climbing the top was abandoned due to a combination of Vicky recuperation and my muscles still complaining about our Tongariro experience.
We ended our day driving the 45 highway, called surf highway and had a great diner at the Nice Hotel’s restaurant, called Table. The staff that works here for diner seems to be better running when the boss is out of town than his own son.
New Plymouth, New Zealand, the 14th of January, 2011